Feb 27, 2010

Wellington, I love you


In Wellington for 2 nights and a day, which is not enough because I AM IN LOVE. Wellington is a gorgeous city built up in the hills overlooking Cook Straight, the passage that separates the North and South Islands. The city presents itself with a "west-coast" vibe and has architecture that resembles San Francisco, but one is pleasantly reminded they are in New Zealand from the view of the surrounding mountain ranges and the Maori and Pacific Islander culture that seep into the urban landscape. Wellington has a strong music and arts scene. This weekend begins the New Zealand International Arts festival and there are art openings and concerts EVERYWHERE. It's a university town, it has a strong sports scene, its the nation's capital, the filming headquarters of LOTR, and the home of Bret and Jemaine from Flight of the Conchords!
It is a cultural melting pot, and basically I want to live here. I spent the day today going to the Tepapa Museum learning about NZ's natural history, indigenous cultures, stepping inside an earthquake-simulator (just incase I don't experience one while I'm here), and perusing sacred greenstone blocks the size of my body!


This afternoon I spent lying on the beach amongst many Wellingtonians daydreaming that I may someday be one of them. My time here is cut short as I continue on my journey to Christchurch tomorrow. After one taxi, a 3 hr ferry ride, a 5 hr train journey down the South Island's coast, an overnight in Christchurch, a busride and another ferry, I'll have made it to my new WWOOF host!
Until then..I'll be daydreaming of my new favorite city.

No comments:

Post a Comment